“You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces — just good food from fresh ingredients.”~ Julia Child
One of best volumes I’ve seen in cooking are that of Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking. They’re available at Bestsellers. They come in four volumes actually but they cost the earth so I just look at the spines and indexes and try to memorize some simple recipes that don’t need complicated ingredients.
We have some left-over food from yesterday and some ripe mangoes from the other Sunday that a friend gave us. I thought of making mango bread and found this site on how to make a simple one. The procedures are almost the same as making banana cake. Gosh, I burned my finger trying to take it out from the oven. I love the heavenly aroma of combined cinnamon and fresh mangoes. There is something so comforting about measuring ingredients, sifting the flour, mixing and such. So here it is, my yummy version of mango bread. Can you imagine a mango bread topped with grated Belgian chocolate truffles? Another friend who was on vacation from Canada gave me a box of these sinfully addicting chocolates together with some mint candies wrapped in dark chocolates.
I can proudly say, it is really, really yummy. Here’s the recipe if you want to try it copied from kitchenrunway.com.
- 2 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 C Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ C Regular Butter, melted
- ¼ C Oil
- 2 Ripe Mangoes, finely chopped (or chunks if you prefer) I used 3 medium-sized ripe mangoes, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add baking soda, sugar and cinnamon and stir the dry ingredients to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, add vanilla extract, melted butter and oil. Combine the ingredients and add to dry ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon stir to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold in the chopped mangoes.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 55 – 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool before slicing.