I love surprises! And I love receiving one. Nissa’s text read, “may surprise ako sa inyo”. And I texted back, “hint???”. Then she answered, “basta, mamaya. Secret”.
So like an excited child, I waited for her to come home. Really, I was elated seeing a bag full of books which she bought at National Bookstore at Market, Market in Global City. A few days ago, we were both talking of visiting the place because they had a sale and I would like to find books that would tide me over until next year.
I only splurge on books every time there is a sale at NBS, a 20@ discount is big enough. This time though, a regular- priced book of P339.00 costs only P100.00. Wow, if you won’t be enticed by that, I don’t know what will. And here’s the list of the books she took home last night.
- Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan. Since I read her other book, The Joy Luck Club years ago, I was forever on the lookout for another one of hers. I was able to buy a copy of The Bonesetter’s Daughter last year but it was destroyed by typhoon Ondoy before I even read the first chapter.
- Blaze by Stephen King (Richard Bachman) – another thriller, perfect for those cold nights when you have nothing to do. I am not much of King’s fan but I love the way he writes and we have collected several of his books over the years.
- The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold, author of the intriguing novel the Lovely Bones. Unfolding in the course of a single day, the summary reads, “this searing, fast-paced novel explores the complex ties within families, the wages of devotion and the line between love and hate”. It sounds interesting enough.
- Stalemate by Iris Johansen – I have never read any book of Johansen . This is another suspense that begins with a phone call and leads the character on the harrowing trail of a killer that even the most cold-blooded killers fear to face. Formerly priced at P319.00 but was on sale at P50.00. Not bad!
- Foul Play by Janet Evanovich. I really haven’t heard of her but I hope this book is good.
- Crisis by Robin Cook – Cook is a doctor and I’ve been collecting almost all of his books the past years. I was influenced by Lea Salonga when I read somewhere that Robin Cook is one of her favorite authors. I was intrigued and I am glad she introduced me to him. He deals on medical thrillers and I learned a lot of medical jargon in his other books. Another interesting read.
- The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan – pricey at P395.00 and it was not on sale. I enjoyed reading The Red Pyramid so this one must also be interesting.
- Holly – by Jude Devereaux – a short novel, a Christmas story actually and I am looking forward to reading it before December ends.
- Cross Country by James Patterson – another Alex Cross thriller. Nissa and I have been following Alex Cross in several of Patterson’s books. a real bargain at P100.00
- Border Music by Robert James Waller – most of you probably don’t read Waller but I like almost all of his books. Bought this hard-bound copy for a song.
I have lots of unopened books, still in their original plastic cover but how can one resist? I can’t and I am glad my daughter is a bookworm too. She bought another book of Suzanne Collins. Thank you Nissa!